Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 boneless chuck roast, trimmed, seasoned with salt and pepper (3-4 lb.)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 to 3- inch pieces
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Saute pan
- Slow Cooker
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Sear roast on all sides, 10 minutes total. Transfer roast to a 4-6- quart slow cooker.
- Stir flour into saute pan; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute more.
- Deglaze saute pan with wine, cooking until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and Worcestershire; bring mixture to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits.
- Transfer broth mixture to the slow cooker; add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover and cook until the meat is fork-tender, on low-heat setting 8-10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving.
Please visit the Blog Section of this website for more information on Slow Cooking.